On July 21, a rough draft of Japan’s next Strategic Energy Plan was presented at the Strategic Policy Committee, under the Advisory Committee for Natural Resources and Energy. Because 3 years have passed since the current plan was issued, the Japanese government has been addressing its revision since last fall. The policy committee is chaired by Takashi Shiraishi, chancellor of the Prefectural University of Kumamoto.
- 1 June, 2021 Preparations Continue Toward Restarting Tokai-2 NPP
- 28 May, 2021 Fuel Loading Completed at Mihama-3
- 28 May, 2021 Fukui Governor Calls for Clarification of Nuclear’s Position
- 18 May, 2021 Kansai EP Reveals Policy on NPPs Set to Operate Beyond 40 Years, with Mihama-3 to Restart in Late June
- 19 March, 2021 NRA Approves Draft Review Report on Dry Spent Fuel Storage Facility at Genkai NPPs
- 3 March, 2021 Challenged by Rubble, TEPCO Completes Removal of Spent Fuel Assemblies from Pool at Fukushima Daiichi-3 NPP
- 24 February, 2021 FEPC Chairman Explains Response to Earthquake off Fukushima
- 17 February, 2021 Site for Spent Fuel Intermediate Storage Facility Outside Fukui Prefecture to Be Determined by End of 2023
- 10 December, 2020 Japan’s NRA Recognizes Compatibility of JNFL’s MOX Fuel Fabrication Plant with New Regulatory Standards, Approving Changes
- 24 November, 2020 NUMO Accepts Applications from Two Municipalities to Conduct Literature Surveys, Moving Closer Toward Selecting HLW Final Disposal Site
- 16 November, 2020 Kyushu Electric Power Starts Operating Facilities at Sendai-1 NPP Designed for “Specific Severe Accident” Response—First Time in Japan
- 13 November, 2020 Japan’s NRA Approves Changes to Mutsu Recyclable-Fuel Storage Center after Confirming Regulatory Compliance
- 13 October, 2020 NUMO Accepts Suttsu’s Application for Literature Survey in Selecting HLW Final Disposal Site—First Since Release of Map of Scientific Features
At 10:00 a.m. on June 23, the Kansai Electric Power Co. (Kansai EP) restarted its Mihama-3 Nuclear Power Plant (PWR, 826MW). The unit had entered a periodic inspection in May 2011, slightly more than decade ago.