At an extraordinary meeting on August 6, members of the Nuclear Regulation Authority of Japan (NRA) exchanged views with President Takashi Sakamoto of the Recyclable-Fuel Storage Company (RFS). The company operates a spent fuel interim storage facility (see conceptual image) in Mutsu City, Aomori Prefecture, storing and managing spent nuclear fuel until it is processed.
- 2 August, 2019 Tohoku Electric Power Applies for Approval of Onagawa-1 Decommissioning Plan
- 1 August, 2019 NRA Deliberates Response by Takahama NPPs against Potential Tsunamis Caused by Underwater Landslides
- 7 March, 2019 JAIF President Takahashi Hopes “Considerate Activities” Will Be Made toward Restarting Tokai-2 to Promote Understanding
- 12 February, 2019 Kansai EP Reviews and Pushes Back Completion Dates for Safety Improvement Work at Three NPPs Granted Extended Lifetimes
- 1 February, 2019 JAEA Achieves 150 Hours of Continuous Hydrogen Production Toward Utilization of Heat from HTGRs
- 19 November, 2018 Shimane NPP Proceeding Steadily on Safety Measures toward Restart
- 16 November, 2018 NRA Allows Tokai-2 to Be Operated for Sixty Years, a First for a BWR
- 17 October, 2018 Shikoku Electric Power Asks Japan’s NRA to Approve Ikata-2 Decommissioning Plan
- 5 October, 2018 JAIF Press Briefing: President Takahashi Foresees Progress in BWR Examinations by NRA
- 28 September, 2018 NRA Approves Review Report Finding Tokai-2 NPP Compatible with New Regulatory Standards
- 28 September, 2018 Hiroshima High Court Rules to Allow Ikata-3 to Restart
- 13 September, 2018 NRA Chairman Rebuts Idea that Hokkaido Blackouts Could Have Been Averted Had Tomari NPPs Been Restarted
- 6 July, 2018 NRA Draft Report: Tokai-2 NPP Complies with New Regulatory Standards
On July 31, the Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) decided to decommission all four units (BWRs, 1,100MWe each) at the Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power Plants. In June 2018, TEPCO President Tomoaki Kobayakawa had visited Governor Masao Uchibori of Fukushima Prefecture and conveyed the company’s intention then to address decommissioning all the units.