On January 24, Japan's Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) met and exchanged views with President Mamoru Muramatsu and other officers from the Japan Atomic Power Company (JAPC). The NRA has been holding monthly meetings—open to the public—with the top managements of nuclear operators nationwide on improving nuclear safety. Those meetings are now entering their third round.
- 15 January, 2018 ANRE Head Meets Niigata Governor on Kashiwazaki Kariwa, Delivers Document from METI Minister
- 12 December, 2017 JAEA Officially Classifies Monju Fast Reactor as “Closed Down”
- 12 December, 2017 Seven-point Contraction in Nuclear Share of Energy Mix Would Push Real GDP Down by 2.5 to 2.7 Trillion Yen
- 28 November, 2017 Fukui Governor Agrees to Restart Ohi-3 and Ohi-4 NPPs, with Local Procedures Complete
- 6 October, 2017 JAEC Explains Japan’s Utilization of Plutonium to the Country and the World
- 25 September, 2017 METI Minister Explains Fuel Cycle Promotion Policy to Aomori Governor
- 4 September, 2017 Round Table Studying the Energy Situation toward 2050 Begins Deliberations
- 31 August, 2017 Power Companies Request Pre-service Inspections Toward Restarting Reactors at Genkai and Ohi
- 21 August, 2017 Deliberations Begin on Revisions to the Strategic Energy Plan
- 8 August, 2017 ANRE Publishes “Map of Scientific Characteristics,” Moving One Step Closer to Geological HLW Disposal
- 7 August, 2017 Japan’s Total Plutonium Holdings Decrease Thanks to NPP Restarts
- 3 August, 2017 IEEJ Releases 2018 Economic and Energy Outlook: Pace of NPP Restarts Affects Improvement of 3Es
- 25 July, 2017 Cabinet Approves Basic Concept on Nuclear Energy Use
On January 22, the Special Committee on the Nuclear Damage Compensation System, under the Japan Atomic Energy Commission (JAEC), took up a draft of revisions to the system.