A debate on the advisability of geological disposal of high-level radioactive waste (HLW) was staged recently by students belonging to the Faculty of Education at the Chiba University. Assisted by the Nuclear Waste Management Organization of Japan (NUMO), the students considered whether Japan should cancel the ongoing HLW geological (i.e., underground) disposal project and instead require management above ground.
- 2 August, 2019 IEEJ’s 2020 Economic and Energy Outlook Compares Effects of Completing and Not Completing Anti-Terrorism Facilities at Japan’s NPPs
- 1 August, 2019 JAEC Chairman Oka Remembers IAEA Director General Amano
- 1 August, 2019 Japan-IAEA Nuclear Energy Management School Begins Its Summer 2019 Session
- 30 July, 2019 Strategic Policy Committee Meets for First Time in Half a Year to Consider Recent Changes in Energy Circumstances
- 17 July, 2019 Fukui Governor Asks METI and MEXT to Use Decommissioning to Spur Industrial Development of Prefecture
- 13 June, 2019 Japan’s Cabinet Approves FY18 White Paper on Energy Policy, Seeking Low-carbon Society to Meet Paris Agreement Goals
- 31 May, 2019 Local Governments Asks National Government to Help Get Overseas Import Regulation on Foods Withdrawn or Relaxed
- 21 May, 2019 【52nd JAIF Annual Conference】 Environmental Activist Michael Shellenberger, a Pro-nuclear Convert, Meets the Press
- 21 May, 2019 【52nd JAIF Annual Conference】 Leader Perspective: “The Role of Nuclear Energy in the EU Low-carbon Future”
- 15 April, 2019 Keidanren Promotes Nuclear Power and Renewable Energies in Electric Power Policy Proposal
- 5 April, 2019 Governmental Advisory Panel of Experts Delivers Proposals about Japan’s Long-term Strategy Based on Paris Agreement
- 3 April, 2019 Japan’s Environment Ministry Releases New Policy Regulating Coal-fired Power Generation, Accelerating Global Warming Countermeasures
- 26 December, 2018 Kansai Economic Federation Releases Written Opinion on Energy and Environmental Policy, Urging Maximum Use of Nuclear Energy
JAERO President Masumoto Reports to JAEC on Activities and Accumulation of Knowhow in the 50 Years since Establishment
At a regular meeting of the Japan Atomic Energy Commission (JAEC) on July 23, President Teruaki Masumoto of the Japan Atomic Energy Relations Organization (JAERO) reported on his organization’s recent activities.