On April 8, the Japan Business Federation (Keidanren) released a proposal on electric power policy. It proposes fostering an environment leading to a “virtuous circle” of investments in electric power for Japan to adhere to the “3E’s+S” principle of its energy policy, referring to the conventional three E’s of energy security, economy, and environmental protection, along with safety, while simultaneously responding to the demands of the “3D’s” of decarbonization, distribution and digitalization, a direction toward which the global electricity business is clearly heading.
- 3 April, 2019 Japan’s Environment Ministry Releases New Policy Regulating Coal-fired Power Generation, Accelerating Global Warming Countermeasures
- 26 December, 2018 Kansai Economic Federation Releases Written Opinion on Energy and Environmental Policy, Urging Maximum Use of Nuclear Energy
- 13 December, 2018 ANRE Nuclear Energy Subcommittee Resumes Deliberations toward Resolving Issues Based on Fifth Strategic Energy Plan
- 12 December, 2018 ANRE’s Working Group Produces Strategic Road Map for Fast Reactor Development
- 7 November, 2018 National Nuclear Convention Held, Aiming to Reflect the Voices of Siting Areas
- 20 September, 2018 62nd IAEA GC Opens: Japan’s Minister of State for Science Stresses National Policy of Reducing Plutonium Holdings
- 13 September, 2018 NRA Chairman Rebuts Idea that Hokkaido Blackouts Could Have Been Averted Had Tomari NPPs Been Restarted
- 30 August, 2018 International Mentoring Workshop in Science and Engineering for Women Held in Tokyo
- 6 July, 2018 Strategic Energy Plan Approved by Cabinet: FEPC Chairman Calls It “Key Policy of the Nation”
- 4 July, 2018 Court of Second Instance Approves Operation of Ohi NPPs
- 29 June, 2018 JAIF President Personally Sad to See Fukushima Daini Go
- 25 June, 2018 LDP Diet Caucus Delivers Strategic Energy Plan Proposal to METI Minister, Calling for Early NPP Restarts and New NPP Construction
- 12 June, 2018 Cabinet Approves FY2017 White Paper on Energy Policy, Including Overview from Mid-1800s to 2050
Governmental Advisory Panel of Experts Delivers Proposals about Japan’s Long-term Strategy Based on Paris Agreement
On April 2, a special advisory panel of experts addressing a long-term strategy for a low greenhouse-gas emission economy and society handed its proposals in person to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.