The Japan Atomic Industrial Forum (JAIF) strongly objects to any military attack on nuclear facilities or surrounding areas and to all acts threatening the safety of their operations in Ukraine. At the same time, JAIF expresses its sincere support and respect for the courage and efforts of the Ukrainians who are, at this moment, with all of their might, maintaining the safety of those nuclear facilities.
Military action or threats of it against nuclear facilities is an obvious violation of international law, and must cease immediately. No matter what the circumstances are, all countries must observe the Charter of the United Nations and other international norms, and have an obligation to protect world peace and stability.
JAIF supports the proposal by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that it negotiate with Ukraine and Russia on a framework to ensure safety based on the “Seven Pillars” for ensuring nuclear safety and security, and hopes for a significant role for the IAEA hereafter.
JAIF will continue to monitor the situation of the nuclear facilities in Ukraine, and will post additional information on its website whenever it becomes available.
The Seven Pillars are:
- The physical integrity of the facilities – whether it is the reactors, fuel ponds, or radioactive waste stores – must be maintained;
- All safety and security systems and equipment must be fully functional at all times;
- The operating staff must be able to fulfil their safety and security duties and have the capacity to make decisions free of undue pressure;
- There must be secure off-site power supply from the grid for all nuclear sites;
- There must be uninterrupted logistical supply chains and transportation to and from the sites;
- There must be effective on-site and off-site radiation monitoring systems and emergency preparedness and response measures; and
- There must be reliable communications with the regulator and others.
The nuclear industry Statements
“The nuclear industry stands ready to support the IAEA’s efforts to ensure the safety and security of nuclear facilities and staff in Ukraine”
Shiro Arai, President, JAIF